Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Best of 2016 #8: Weaves - Weaves (Buzz Records)

Weaves were a band I was vaguely familiar with. In the past, I played their first EP on my radio show and I liked it, but didn't give it much attention. After hearing their first full length this past year, I heard a band come into their own, a full fledged swaggering punk/noise mess.

Weaves are a weird band. They've got the obtuse weirdness of a band like Deerhoof or Devo, the post punk chops of a band like Sleater-Kinney or White Lung, and the soulful warble and sloppy, sexy wetness of Future Islands or the late Sharon Jones. Their sound is a real mess. It's got muscles, real rock/punk muscles, but it also meanders and shrieks like experimental rock. They are very hard to pin down or categorize.

A few years ago, I heard a band called Algiers, a soul/punk band from the States. While their sound tended to sprawl over a 5-6 minute track, Weaves takes that sound and crunches it down to 2-3 minute punches.

This is a band to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment