Sunday, January 20, 2013

Best of 2012: Daphni - Jiaolong (Merge)

Canadian electronic musician Dan Snaith is no stranger to my ears. I've been a fan of his Caribou project since before he was forced to change it's name from Manitoba to Caribou. Caribou is no stranger to my best of charts either. Back in 2010, I picked Swim as my #3 album and in 2003, I chose Manitoba's Up in Flames as my favourite album of the year. Whereas Caribou put a pop-sheen on his electronics, Snaith's latest project, Daphni, is more more glitchy and noisy. He bases this project around a strong dance groove, with less emphasis on the psychedelic pop swirls Caribou is known for, an adding more glitchy, unsettling and noisy bits. It's a great effort, a bit divorced from his usual fare, but enjoyable nonetheless. Recommended for someone looking different from their dancefloor grooves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpK5GltULXI

No comments:

Post a Comment